News:

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regaining Italian Citizenship after taking the U.S. oath of citizenship.  (Read 1932 times)
edragone
New User

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »

I am new to this link,

I was born in Italy and came to this country with my family in 1973.  I became an American citizen in 1983 and had to renounce Italian citizenship at the time.  I am aware that I can re-establish my Italian citizenship after residing in Italy for a year.  This will allow me to then hold dual citizenship.  I was recently offered an opportunity to work in Europe (Spain or England) and I was wondering if the European Union may play any role toward regaining citizenship which in this case may be relegated to European citizenship.  I know this may be a long shot but I thought I would pose the question.  Would the fact that I was born in Italy make it easier to obtain a European work visa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Grazie mille....

Elia
Tiffany
Global Moderator
Preferred Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »

Not that I know of, sorry.  Having a job offer though, if the company is willing to help you out, probably will have a much greater effect.

Please follow the rules.  Per favore seguite le regole.
em

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »

If you have a little time, you may be able to obtain that Italian citizenship in less than a year.  You go to your consulate and indicate that you plan to reacquire your citizenship; then you go to Italy and establish residency. (You have one year from the time you visit the consulate to do so, and if you still have relatives living in Italy, this should be fairly easy.)  Once you establish residency, you inform your comune of your intention.  They will send an official to confirm your residency (this can be done within days, but it may take several weeks before they get around to it).   

After your residency is officially confirmed, you can obtain an Italian passport.  The process should take less than a month particularly if you have contacts in your comune.  I'm not certain about the form you need to complete or where you report once you arrive in Italy, but your consulate can provide you with this information when you go in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:24:48 PM by em » Logged
merckx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:51:16 AM »

See http://expatsinitaly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8503
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: